Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Street Sweeper Social Club

I swear, I have like 6 posts that are saved as drafts right now. Several reviews and other posts coming soon. In the mean time...


Street Sweeper Social Club just announced a new E.P., The Ghetto Blaster, to be released Tuesday, August 10th. You can pre-order it here and you can also listen to their cover of M.I.A.'s "Paper Planes" right here.

They've been playing "Paper Planes" live for awhile now. I saw it back when they opened for NIN and Jane's Addiction. The song, performed live, is pretty awesome. Super loud and pretty heavy. But for some reason this studio version sounds pretty flat. Boring almost. Zack's pissed off vocals always kept RATM's rap-rock sound from sounding tame and dry. I mean, what happens to hip-hop if you strip the booming bass and replace it with guitar? Well, as long as you have a vocalist who raps like a madman, you'll still come out with something heavy. But if you have a vocalist who sounds happy, it kills the metal and you're left with almost nothing. Hopefully the E.P. rocks harder than this teaser track. I'm actually pretty angry about this because I really hoped they'd record it and capture the same sound they had live.

No comments:

Post a Comment